Sunday, 26 January 2014

Cleaning Time #3


Some time ago I was able to get my hands on an A4000D. As this was the last Amiga I owned I had to have it... There is something about this machine which makes me happy. I spent hours and hours (...and hours) behind this machine playing around with Lightwave 3.5. Oh, those were the days, staring at a wire-frame Millennium Falcon and X-Wing. Sigh.

This is how I got it, looking at it from above:


The keyboard is a bit yellow, and the unit itself is yellowed as well. Also, the back cover paint (not visible here) has a lot of scratches and wear on it. The motherboard SIMM sockets are worn out causing the memory modules to spring loose and crash the computer.


I also got me a copy of the complete Amiga Reference Manual series. That was really nice as I intend to do some programming on the Amiga, just for fun... In addition the pack also included some other misc books. I was very happy with obtaining a Commodore 64 Programmers Reference Guide (ring-band edition) in mint condition. Really cool!  I think the OS 3.5 install will have to wait until I have a decent graphics card in the Amiga 4000.


But let's get back to the Amiga 4000. I started with sending the motherboard away to be revised. It needed new SIMM sockets and new capacitors.

Then I cleaned the Amiga keyboard, as it seemed to have obtained 20 years of dust from whatever place it was stored.





Here is the final result:



It's nice to type and not having your fingertips wade through 20 years of history! The keyboard is now in tip-top shape. Some time later the motherboard returned and it was time to re-assemble the machine.



Here's the revised motherboard. You can see the new memory sockets. There are now three sockets on the board instead of the standard five. The first bank is for Chip memory, and the other two for Fast memory. I've put two 8MB SIMMS in there, the max amount of memory for a stock A4000.


Adding more bits and starting up the machine for the first time. Nice.  All seemed to be going well, until I tried out some floppies.


At this point the machine got very unstable, and crashed into Guru Meditations or Software Errors. After fiddling around for a while I realized the floppy drive was causing the problems, as inserting a disk often cause the machine to flip. After fitting another spare drive I had lying around the problem went away.  I now have a drive in the machine on which the old floppy front doesn't fit so a replacement will have to be found. There is now a gaping hole in the front of the machine. :(


The cover was looking really bad, so some re-painting was needed...


After sanding it I repainted the cover.



So here's my cleaned up Amiga A4000D. I'm happy with the results, except for the floppy hole of course. :/


I decided to re-install Workbench and start from scratch... Why not, eh?


The machine in now in stock condition: Workbench 3.1, 1GB hard-drive which I divided into three partitions: System, Work and Apps/Games.  Let's see what can be done on this machine.


1541 Ultimate II Guide 6 : D71 and D81 images

When you want to use your 1571 or 1581 drive with your C64 or C128 it's nice to be able to use the hardware to the fullest. That means ...