Friday, 24 July 2015

Amiga 4000 hardware refurbisment

As my annual leave has started and I therefore have some free time on my hands, I decided to do a little Amiga project. As you may have heard, the Amiga is 30 years old this week so if that's not a reason to give the machine some love then I do not know what is!

I have a few modifications planned. First little thing to address is the loud power-supply fan. I decided to replace this with a more silent specimen. It's a simple operation: open up the power-supply, de-solder the fan, solder in a new fan. This is bringing down the decibels already. Nice.


As you can see the fan is only connected with two little wires.

Next up is to replace the internal HDD with a CF card. This will, again, make the machine more silent. It will also make it faster, and produce less heat. I ordered the CF card so now all I have to do is wait.

The plan is to install the CF card using WinUAE, and then put that card in the A4000. I am reading up on how to do this so I hope to be prepared when the hardware arrives.

I also ordered a GOTEK drive so I can use the collection of ADF files I have more easily. We'll see how that works out.


Review 1541 Ultimate II+

Recently I bought the new version of the 1541 Ultimate II cartridge. It is the best investment you can do when you enjoy your Commodore 64 a...